Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Orangebursts


Hello and Welcome to Adventures In Baking!  Let me just begin by saying you NEED to bake these cookies right now!  Finish reading this post, print out the recipe, go to the store and get to baking.  You'll wonder how you ever lived without this cookie in your life.  They're that good.  They may not be that beautiful to look at (I blame the zest for giving them a splotchy look), but man do they taste wonderful! 

I was searching around the web and through the few cookbooks that I own for ideas on what to bake this week.  There are so many options out there, it helps me to begin my search with a specific element and go forward from there.  Sometimes my search element is the type of item I have in mind, such as a cookie or cupcake and other times it's with a specific flavor profile or ingredient.  With the heat we've had this summer, I wanted something light and fruity so I began searching for recipes utilizing peaches or oranges.  I figured I'd find a tart or a pie recipe that tickled my taste buds, and I sure didn't think I'd run into a cookie recipe.  And then I found the recipe for Orangbursts from Baked Perfection.  The write-up said they reminded the baker of Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream.  Oh yeah.  This will work nicely.


Orangebursts
recipe slightly adapted from Baked Perfection

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 cups vanilla chips
zest of two oranges

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.


Let's get started.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and creamy.  Beat in egg, vanilla extract and orange extract until smooth.  Gradually add flour mixture until combined.  Stir in orange zest.  Oranges are so much easier to zest than lemons. 

 
Next step.  Stir in vanilla chips.  I used Ghirardelli Classic White for my baking chips.  Can't go wrong with Ghirardelli.


Final step.  Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.  Cool for several minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.  Instead of using a Silpat, I used parchment paper to line my baking pans.  Super easy cleanup.



The taste test.  Ummmmm, yeah.  I think I gave you a clue as to whether or not I liked these in the first paragraph!  They're a definite favorite already.  Share them with everyone you know.  But be sure to keep a few for yourself! 


The clean up.  The recipe made 34 cookies.  I have 2 left.  Some went into the freezer (cause I know my Dad's gonna love these) and some went to a friend as a thank you for helping me out this week.  And I may have eaten one or two.  Or more. 

Thanks for stopping by and enjoying my Adventure!  See ya next week.
-Teddra


No comments:

Post a Comment