Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes


Hello and welcome to Adventures In Baking!  I was in the mood for Chocolate.  This is what I found.  Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes.  Um, Yeah.  I purchased a cupcake cookbook by Betty Crocker.  It's called The Big Book Of Cupcakes.  Original.  Click here to go to the Amazon line if you want to check it out.  I bought mine at Sam's.  There's probably close to 200 cupcake recipes in the book.  I'm thinking about making 2013 the year of the cupcake.  Maybe cupcake and cookies.  Maybe vegetables.  Maybe not.  

 
The ingredients.  Not too many.  Pretty basic.  No butter.  I had everything except for the sour cream on hand. 
 
 
Let's get started.  In a large bowl beat granulated sugar, peanut butter, sour cream, egg and egg white.  As I was adding the ingredients to the bowl I realized I actually needed two eggs.  One whole egg and just the egg white of the second egg.  Just as it says in the directions.  I know when I first looked over the recipe I saw that it said 1 egg and 1 egg white and I thought it was another one of those very specific instructions like scrape the sides of the bowl......use the egg and the egg white.  In my mind, the egg was the yolk only.  Luckily, I realized it meant 1 yolk and 2 egg whites before I got too far along.  I keep thinking one of these days I won't make these blunders, or start to make the blunders, but I guess this way it will always be an Adventure with me!

 
Next step.  Beat in the flour, baking cocoa, hot water and baking soda.  Stir in chocolate chips. 
 
 
 
Final step.  Divide batter evenly among baking cups. 
 
 
As I was filling the baking cups I was thinking about the recipe and wondering why it was called DOUBLE chocolate.  Oh yeah, cocoa and chocolate chips.  Chocolate chips?  Whoops.  There, off to the side of the counter, sat my lonely bag of mini chocolate chips.  Propped up against the toaster.  Waiting to be useful. 
 
 
I'll just sprinkle them on top.  Maybe they'll sink into the middle a bit.  Now they're double chocolate.
 
 
Taste test.  Well, as you can clearly see, they didn't sink.  I was a little worried they would be too chocolate-y for me, but the peanut butter shares the stage with this cupcake.  The recipe said to sprinkle confectioners sugar on top but I have a problem with loose powdered sugar on top of things such as donuts.  As hard as I try not to, I inevitably end up taking a breath at just the wrong time and getting a big whiff of powdered sugar up my nose.  Which causes a coughing, snorting, runny eye mess.  Not the best way to enjoy a cupcake.  So no confectioners sugar for me. 
 
  
The clean up.  The recipe yields 12 cupcakes.  A manageable number.  I think they would have been better with the chocolate chips throughout the cupcake, but these are still a winner in my book.
 
Enjoy
-Teddra
 



No comments:

Post a Comment