Saturday, September 1, 2012

Peach Cobbler


Hello and Welcome!  Did you miss me this week?  I won't bore you with the deets, but it's been a rough one around here.  I think I'm ready to get back on track and that means an episode of Adventures In Baking is on the menu for today..... And maybe a special episode later in the week to make up for this tardy post.

My parents were going to be visiting over the weekend and the only response I received from my request for a baking suggestion was "something with peaches".  I have a Peach Cupcake recipe I've been holding onto for quite a while, but I just made cupcakes last week.  The thought of Peach Ice Cream was in the mix too.  In the end, I decided on Peach Cobbler.  It seemed to present the biggest challenge to me as I've never tasted one before and really only had a vague idea of what was in it.  Truthfully, I wasn't even sure what the differences were between a cobbler and a crisp.  I couldn't decide which recipe to use so I kinda winged it and combined aspects of a couple recipes.


 
Peach Cobbler
Ingredients:
8 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
4 cups sliced peaches
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

 
Let's get started.  Melt the butter in a 9 x 13 baking dish.  While the butter's melting, cut and slice your peaches.  I didn't peel mine, but feel free to do so. 
 
 
Next step. Combine flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt and milk in a bowl. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moist. Pour the batter over the butter. DO NOT stir. Just pour. ( I know it sound weird and I had to fight the urge to stir, but this seems to be an integral part of the cobbler so just go with it.)
 
 
Final step.  Bring the remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices and lemon juice to a boil over high heat. 
 
 
Pour the peaches over the batter.  Again, don't stir!  Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. 
 
 
Taste test.  Well, as I said before, I don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was OK.  It's just not my thing.  My parents seemed to like it.  My dad thought it needed more crust (but he went back for seconds).  I would have liked it better as a crisp without any crust at all.  Guess it depends on your preference.  They both agreed it was even better the next day. 
 
 
The clean up.  Serve it warm or cool.  With or without ice cream.  Morning, noon or night. 
 
Enjoy-
Teddra 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment