Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lemon Pound Cake

 

Welcome to this weeks episode of Adventures In Baking!  I started to make this pound cake a couple weeks ago but was sidetracked by 2 lbs of Strawberries!  Today's recipe can be found here.  For some reason, I always thought a pound cake used a pound of each ingredient.  Maybe this is a half-pound cake?  Maybe I don't know the weight conversions for everything (more likely :-).  I know it calls for 15 tablespoons of butter.  Not 16, which would be 2 full sticks and make sense.  Nope.  15. 

 
The ingredients.  Lots of extract.  Vanilla, Lemon and Almond.  And the smallest lemons ever.
 
 
Let's get started.  Beat milk, eggs and the extracts in a bowl and set to the side.

 
Next step.  In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar and baking powder.  Add the lemon zest.   Add the softened butter to the flour mixture and mix on low. 
 
 
Final step. Slowly add the milk mixture, beating until combined.  Pour batter into loaf pan and bake. 

 
Time to make the icing.  Combine confectioners sugar and lemon juice.  Pierce the cake with a fork across the top.  Pour on the glaze.
 
 
Taste test.  Pretty good.  I was expecting a dense cake and while this isn't exactly light and fluffy, it's not a brick either.   I'd personally like more lemon flavor in the cake.  The glaze, however, is sufficiently lemon-y.  That may be because I tripled the amount of lemon juice the recipe indicated.  Maybe I should have dunked the cake in the glaze so all sides were covered.  Hmmmmm. 
 
I'm still searching for next weeks Adventure ...... Maybe apple?
 
Have a great week!
-Teddra
 

No comments:

Post a Comment