Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Caramel Apple Crisp


Hello and welcome to a delicious episode of Adventures In Baking.  Caramel Apple Crisp,um, yum.  I had a difficult time deciding what to bake this week.  I had lots of recipes printed, cookbooks to browse through and websites to peruse but nothing was calling out to me.  I generally have a recipe ready a week ahead of time so I can do my shopping and then bake on Saturday morning.  Saturday morning came and went.  So did Saturday afternoon.  At 9pm Saturday night I was at the grocery store picking up a few ingredients.  Today's glorious concoction is brought to you by Taste of Home.  You can find the recipe right here.  Check it out.  You can thank me later, lol!


The ingredients.  The recipe said to use tart apples so I went with Granny Smith's, my favorite.  And for the caramel, I used these Caramel Bits I found in the baking aisle.  Little round bits of chewy caramel heaven.  Without the individual wrappers.


Let's get started.  In a large bowl combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. 


Cut in the butter until it's crumbly. 


Next step.  Press half the mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. 


Layer with half the apples, caramels and 1 cup of oat mixture.  Out of the 6 apples I peeled, I only ended up using 4 and a half.


Final step.  Repeat the layers and pour a half cup of apple cider over the top.  Bake for 30 minutes, drizzle the remaining cider on top and bake for 20 more minutes. 


Taste test.  We are all in agreement.  Love.  Sooooo good.  Maybe not the most enticing photo, but I can assure you I was scraping the sides of the bowl.  I have it on good authority that it's even better when served warm and with a side (or two) of vanilla ice cream. 

 The clean up.  This is one full dish of yummi-ness.  Of course it all depends on serving size, but there are approximately 12 servings. 

See ya next week
-Teddra


No comments:

Post a Comment