Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sunshine Muffins


Good Afternoon and welcome to Adventures In Baking!  I think baking has taken over my crafty blog for the time being.  I have a couple of scrappy projects started and ideas for things I want to accomplish but nothing much seems to be getting done around here lately.  I need more hours in the weekends!

The muffins I'm sharing today are from the recipe book The Chocolate Snowball.  Which is an odd choice as there isn't a drop of chocolate in the muffins.  My aunt sold me on the muffins by telling me they're similar to carrot cake.  I don't know that I'd equate them to carrot cake (duh, no frosting!), but they may have surpassed blueberry as my favorite muffin. 

 
The ingredients.  The recipe called for dark raisins but I used golden raisins.  
 
 
Let's get started.  Whisk eggs, oil, vanilla and raisins together. 
 
 
Next step.  Stir in carrots, apples and sunflower seeds.  Grated carrots and apples.  Just so ya know, grating apples is a messy business.  
 
 
Final step.  Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and then mix into the carrot mixture.  Divide into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
 
 
Taste test.  Like I said, may be my new favorite.  I used salted sunflower seeds and it's a perfect balance of sweet (from the apples and raisins) and salty. 
 
The clean up.  The recipe makes 12 large muffins.  I sprayed and floured my muffin pan because the directions said to fill the wells almost completely full to produce the largest muffin top possible.  They rose up, but didn't overflow at all. 
 
I liked these so much I wasn't going to share with anyone, haha.  But then we had a last minute work thing so I took a few to spread the sunshine!
 
On the next episode of Adventures In Baking.......Since September seems to have been the month of the apple, it's only fitting that October be the month of ....... Halloween candy!  I found some cute recipes I can't wait to try out. 
 
See you next week
-Teddra 
 

1 comment:

  1. These turned out beautiful...You did a great job! Glad to see you made them...since you're raving about them, I'll definitely have to give them a try for my Fall baking. The cookbook author described these scrumptious muffins as like carrot cake, but without the frosting, and chock-full of goodies & nourishment. Guess she was implying their healthiness, since several of her recipes tend to focus on this for the health conscious skiers who flock to her Deer Valley Bakery before hitting the slopes. She says these muffins are guaranteed to brighten the day...thus calling them Sunshine Muffins...

    ReplyDelete