Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Caramel Apple Scones


Hello and Welcome to Adventures In Baking!  This month's treats are focusing on the Holiday at the end of October, Halloween!  This week, I'm putting a little twist on a gooey fall tradition, Caramel Apples.  The recipe I'm using can be found right here at Recipe Girl. 


The ingredients.  As you'd expect .... except the Greek Yogurt.  That one made me go hmmmmmm.  I've never tasted Greek Yogurt and the few people I know that have tried it, didn't like it.  The general consensus was that it was very sour.   I'm just fine with my Dannon Strawberry yogurt thank you very much.



Let's get started.  Prepare the apples.  Melt butter over medium heat.  Add the apples.  Cook until the apples are softened.  Stir in cinnamon and set aside to cool.


Next step.  Prepare the dough.  Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.  Add the butter until you get coarse crumbs.  Stir in yogurt and apples until the dough comes together.  The dough will be dry.  Super dry.  Just use your hands. 


Final step.  Bake the scones.  On a lightly floured surface, form a 14 x 4 inch flattened log.  Cut the log into triangles.  Bake.


Taste test.  Ice the scones.  In a saucepan, heat butter until melted.  Stir in brown sugar and milk.  Cook for 1 minute.  Transfer to a bowl and cool slightly.  Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar.  Beat until well blended and to desired consistency.  Drizzle over scones. 

Hello yumminess!  These are excellent with or without the caramel icing but the icing just adds that little bit of sweetness that sends them over the top.  I, ahem, felt the need to taste test two pieces, you know, just make sure my original opinion wasn't going to change, lol!  I have the remainder in a sealed container just waiting to be warmed up for breakfast tomorrow.  Or maybe dessert tonight.  Or an evening snack.  These aren't gonna last long around here.  Try them out for yourself and let me know what you think.

The clean up.  I made 12 scones.  The icing part of the recipe made double what was needed so if you prefer a little 'extra' icing there's plenty.

I was a little leery about another scone recipe after the Strawberry Almond Scone (if you can call them that) disaster from this summer, but these were quick and easy.  Definitely one for the recipe box.

Next week, another Halloween staple.....Candy Corn.

Enjoy!
-Teddra   

1 comment:

  1. Yum....These sound wonderful! Looks like you did a great job making them, too...they are very delicious looking. Will have to try this recipe. By the way I love Greek yogurt, eat it nearly everyday. So I would use that in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete