Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Butterscotch Pecan Sandies




Welcome to a new episode of Adventures In Baking.  This weeks treat is Butterscotch Pecan Sandies.  I was looking for an item that I could ship to my Dad in Florida for his birthday.  Happy Birthday Dad!

This is another recipe I found on Baked Perfection.  Almost every recipe on her blog appeals to me and I have a difficult time narrowing down my weekly choice.  I'm setting up a rotating schedule for each month so I stop making so many cookies!  Maybe the first week of each month I'll focus on a cupcake and the second week will be something with fruit.  I'm still working out the kinks, but that's the plan.  Another issue I'd like to address is the recipe, or lack thereof, in my weekly posts.  Someone recently asked why I don't post the recipe I'm using and here's my explanation:  I'm learning how to bake and documenting my experience.  The recipes I'm using are not, in any way, shape or form, my own.  I may veer off the recipe, but that's not intentional (it's more a lack of reading or measuring ability on my part).  I provide the direct link to the recipe on which ever website or blog I found it and gladly direct everyone to check out the sites. Just click on the words 'Baked Perfection' at the beginning of this paragraph and it'll take you right to the recipe.  If there ever comes a day when I intentionally adapt or create a recipe, I will provide all the measurements and specific instructions.  Until that day, no recipes!


The ingredients.  Another week when the only special purchase I made at the grocery store was the butterscotch chips.  I was running very low on a few of the staples so I also purchased more flour, butter (cause this recipe uses a whole lotta butter!) and eggs. 


Let's get started.  See those red bowls......they are awesome.  I've been complaining that my messiness is due to mixing bowls that aren't deep enough resulting in all manner of ingredients being flung out of the bowl once the mixer is turned on.  I can no longer use that excuse and now must simply admit that I just make a mess while baking.  I've been looking at mixing bowls on Amazon and have no less than 3 different sets on my wishlist at any given time.  Being the impatient person that I am, I spent a little chunk of time visiting local stores looking for bowls that fit my requirements so I wouldn't have to wait 3 days for delivery.  I tried everything from a little baking supply shop to big box retailers and had given up finding what I was looking for in a local store when I stopped at the grocery store to do my weekly shopping.  I thought I'd give it a shot and sho' nuff, found a set of 3 KitchenAid bowls.  Big bowls.  The largest is 5.5 quarts and the smallest is 3 quarts.  Rock on.

Sorry, I got distracted looking at the bowls........back to the recipe.  Super simple.  Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.  That's the bowl on the right. 

Next step.  Cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla.  Beat in egg.  Add flour mixture one cup at a time.  Now, I did have a little problem here.  Again, it's more than likely due to a measuring error on my part.  I originally had 3 cups of flour and a half teaspoon of baking soda in a bowl sitting off to the side.  Logically, when I started adding it to the creamed mixture one cup at a time,  I should have had three cups.  Un-logically ( is that a word?) I had a little over 3.5 cups.  It grew.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it....LOL!  Then stir in pecans and butterscotch chips. 

Final step.  Form small balls of dough and flatten them with the bottom of a glass.  The photo above shows both the ball and flattened versions.  Bake for 8 minutes.


Taste test. Um....Yum. Super butterscotch-y. As soon as they cooled off I had them wrapped up all nice and tight and shipped to Florida. 



The clean-up.  I ended up with 4 dozen plus 8 for a total of 56 cookies.  None are headed for the freezer.  Every time I open the freezer and see all the cookies I feel like there's some group out there starting a 'Save The Cookies' campaign! 

On the next episode I'm baking my first made-from-scratch cupcakes and butter cream frosting.  There will be lots of flour and powdered sugar so lets see if my new bowls are up for the test.

Till next time
-Teddra




No comments:

Post a Comment