Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Hi-ya and Welcome to Adventures In Baking.  After the variety of sweet treats I've baked in the past six months I realized I haven't focused on the most basic treat of all .... the chocolate chip cookie.  My aunt and uncle lived in Park City, Utah for several years and the recipe I'm using originated in that area.  My aunt sent me the recipe from a book titled Chocolate Snowball.  The author of the book, Letty Halloran Flatt, is the executive pastry chef at the Deer Valley Resort in Park City and the cookies, cakes and muffins are sold in the resort bakery.  The book is available on Amazon (I checked.  And added it to my wishlist.)   

The ingredients.  Flour, sugar, eggs, yada, yada, yada. 


Let's get started.  Combine flour with the baking soda and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.


Next step.  Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla.  Mix well. 

What?  You wanted to see yet another photo of butter and sugar creamed together.  Nope, didn't think so.  I'd like for you to meet Betty.  (I name quite a few of my electronics, don't you?  Yeah, I'm weird like that).  Anyway, back to Betty.  Betty is my hand mixer.  I named her after Betty Crocker.  I'm contemplating her retirement.  I'm thinking about purchasing a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.  Not that I need one, Betty does a fine job.  But the Kitchen Aid mixers are so pretty.  In a soft buttery yellow.  Sigh.  I have the $$$ set aside to make the purchase but just can't make myself do it.  Maybe that's my answer right there.  I shouldn't have to make myself buy a mixer when I have a perfectly capable one already.  I have this argument with myself at least once a month.  Where were we?  Oh yeah, cookies. 


Final step.  Add the flour mixture and stir in the chocolate chips. 


The taste test.  Oh yeah.  These are five-star cookies.  Bakery quality.  How did I get them so thick you ask? Rather than using a flat cookie sheet or jelly roll pan,  I used my whoopie pie pan.


I filled the wells with cookie dough so they wouldn't spread out and all the cookies will come out the same size.  They're sooooo good.  They're crispy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside.   Best when served with a glass of cold milk.


The clean up.  I made 27 total cookies.  After the first 12, I added 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts.  I figured the thickness of the cookie could handle walnuts. 

On the next episode of Adventures In Baking....I'm thinking it needs to be something festive for the 4th of July.  Any suggestions?

Adios
-Teddra



No comments:

Post a Comment