Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Whoopie Pies with Raspberry Filling


Hello and happy Wednesday evening to you.  I took a little trip to visit the family this past weekend, so Adventures In Baking went on the road again.  I'm just gonna jump right into this one.  Whoopie Pie.  It's not like any pie I've ever seen.  More of a sandwich cookie.  Messy.  I purchased my Wilton Whoopie Pie pan several months ago when it was on sale.  I didn't actually intend to make Whoopie Pies.  I was kinda picturing using it for cookies.  If you've never seen the pan, let me explain it a little.  It's about the size of a muffin tin, maybe a little larger.  It has 12 shallow wells about 2.5 inches in diameter.  I thought it would be useful for producing thick chocolate chip cookies.  The dough can only spread out so far in the wells so they'll stay kinda thick.  It was just an idea.  But an idea I intend to try in the near future.  The pan came with a couple of recipes and I figured if they made the pan, they should have a decent recipe. 


The ingredients.  A new ingredient, Marshmallow cream.  A questionable ingredient, pink food coloring.  (I call this ingredient questionable due to this post here.  Scary).  And a few stalwarts, butter, sugar and flour.


As you can see from the above photo, not exactly at the starting point!  I completely forgot to take photos of each step along the way.  So, I have pics ..... they just don't really go with the description.  Just go with it, lol!

Let's get started.  Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat some more.


Next step.  In another bowl (not the bowl in the picture above!), sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on low speed.  When dry ingredients are almost incorporated, add the milk.  Continue to mix on low speed until all ingredients are almost incorporated.  Add the remaining dry ingredients.


Final step.  Spoon batter into each cavity. 


Assembly.  In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy.  Add sugar and salt.  Add marshmallow creme and vanilla.  Blend well.  Add food coloring.  **I was dreading this part.  I was fearful of turning the filling into a neon mess.  This time, I used a toothpick and barely dipped it in the food coloring and I was rewarded with this beautiful pastel pink.  A very distant cousin the my neon pink cupcakes from February.  Spread raspberry jam on one cake and filing on the other cake.  Sandwich together. 

 
Taste test. Two out of three thumbs up.  Guess who gave it the thumbs down, yep, me.  Don't get me wrong, I ate 3/4th's of the thing.  I just wasn't even tempted to have it again.  The two thumbs up both seemed to really enjoy them.  There are several recipe books out right now devoted entirely to the whoopie pie.  They seem to be the 'in' thing right now.  There really are a ton of options for flavor combinations.  I'll probably try them again.  I'm thinking chocolate with peanut butter filling.  One change I know needs to happen, is they need to be little smaller.  These things are monsters, thickness wise, which contributes to the messy.  And I think they need to be chilled or even frozen right after they're made.  I think that would help hold them together.  Live and learn.  That's what this whole adventure is all about.

The clean up.  The recipe said it made 24 cakes.  (Why is it called a whoopie PIE??  There's nothing PIE about this).  And 24 cakes sandwiched together make 12 pies.  I ended up with 18 cakes/9 pies,  So, yeah.....too thick.   But definitely enjoyed. 

So that's this weeks adventure.   Haven't decided on what to make next.  Maybe a brownie??

Have a great week
-Teddra   


No comments:

Post a Comment