Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars


Hello all and Welcome to Adventures In Baking!  This week, I have one final pumpkin dessert to share.  I'm using a recipe from Taste of Home. 


The ingredients.  Quite a few items for a three layer bar.  The milk, honey and maple syrup seemed a little odd.


Let's get started.  Combine and cake mix and oats.  Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.  Add the butter, honey and water to the remaining cake mixture. 


Next step.  Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.


Final step.  In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, cream cheese, milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice and cloves until blended.  Add egg and egg white.  Beat just until combined.  Pour over crust.


Taste test.  Combine the walnuts, butter and reserved cake mixture.  Sprinkle over filling.  Bake.

Well, this is a tough one.  I wanted to like it, but I just don't like pumpkin.  After a few bites, I separated the layers and ended up only eating the oatmeal layer.  Now that I really like.  There's just something about pumpkin that doesn't work for me.  Maybe it's the texture.  I think if you're a pumpkin lover this would be just the thing to serve as an alternative to a traditional pumpkin pie.  It's certainly easy enough.  And it smells soooo good.

So that's it for my pumpkin adventure.  We're wrapping up Thanksgiving desserts next week with a non-pumpkin dessert and then we're diving head first into Christmas desserts.  I can't wait.  I can smell the peppermint already.  That may be because I've already been stocking up on Andes Peppermint Baking Chips!

Enjoy
-Teddra





No comments:

Post a Comment