Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Roll


Hello and Welcome to Adventures In Baking!  I think I mentioned in the last episode that I was heading home for the weekend for Thanksgiving and no, that wasn't a typo.  I honestly can't remember the last time I had Thanksgiving dinner with my parents.  I do remember it involved turnips so maybe I've just blocked it from my memory, LOL!  I do spend Thanksgiving with family, but the parents generally head to Florida (or some other place that's much warmer than Illinois) at the end of October so we aren't together.  So this year Mom decided we'd just have Thanksgiving dinner a little early.  And we did. 

I'm not a fan of pumpkin or pecan pie but my Mom's Pumpkin Roll hits the spot.

Carol's Pumpkin Cake Roll
Cake:
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 15oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
powdered sugar

Filling:
1 cup powdered sugar
8oz. softened cream cheese
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla


The ingredients.  I made two logs so that's why you see 6 eggs.  And I forgot the salt.  And, although it's too small to see in this photo, one of the spice jars is cloves instead of nutmeg.  Use nutmeg. 


Let's get started.  Line two jelly roll pans with parchment paper.  Grease the paper and dust with powdered sugar.
 
Next step.  Beat 3 eggs for 5 minutes.  The time passes quicker than you'd think.
 
 
Gradually beat in the sugar and then the pumpkin puree.  Add flour, baking powder, spices and salt and mix it all together.
 
 
Next step.  Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with the pecan pieces.  Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.


And then.  Here's the fun, yet scary part.  Spread a clean kitchen towel out on the counter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Turn the pan upside down onto the towel.  Yes, there will be a cloud of powdered sugar in the air.  Yes, do it quickly.  Yes, holding your breath helps with both the powdered sugar fog and your nerves that you might miss the towel.  Or the counter.  Or that it'll slide out before you can get it flipped over.  Or maybe that's just my fear.  Whew, made it.  Slowly peel the parchment paper from the cake. 

 
And now to add the roll.  Loosely roll the cake with the towel.  There isn't an easy way to explain this so just check out the above picture.  You want the cake to cool in the rolled shape but you need to be able to unroll it once it cools to add the cream cheese filling.  Without the towel, the rolls would stick together. 

 
Let the rolled up cake cool for 20 minutes.
 
 
Final step.  Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.  Unroll the cake, spread the filling over the cake and roll it back up (without the towel!).  Sprinkle powdered sugar before serving. 


Taste test.  Love.  Happiness.  Giving Thanks. 

Enjoy
-Teddra 

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! I think this is my favorite dessert or at least my favorite Fall dessert...the Pumpkin Cake Roll is the essence of Fall. The wonderful aroma of the spices, while the cake is baking, fills the air in anticipation of that first delicious bite...

    This is a fun dessert to make and well worth the effort, but I too have a touch of "fear" when the time comes to release the delicious golden baked cake from its pan. Even though I've made this pumpkin roll numerous times, my mind seems to wander to a state of hoping the cake doesn't break apart as I flip it out. But my thoughts are always settled down when success occurs.

    ReplyDelete