Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes


Do these cupcakes look sweet or what, LOL!  Welcome to Adventures In Baking where I attempt to entertain you with my weekly trials and tribulations of learning to bake.  This week I went back to basics:  Chocolate cupcakes with fudge frosting.  The recipe can be found here at Cookies and Cups. 


The ingredients.  Normal cupcake things.  Butter, flour, sugar, vanilla and lots of cocoa powder. 


Let's get started.  Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder together.  I don't have a sifter so I just used a whisk to mix it up.  Cocoa powder makes me sneeze.  I don't think using a sifter would change that. 


Next step.  On low speed, add eggs one at a time.  Then add the vanilla, water, oil and buttermilk.  I have to admit I was a little scared to turn on the mixer at this point.  I was using a 4.5 quart bowl and it was FULL.  I could just imagine flour and cocoa and buttermilk spewing everywhere.  It worked out fine, but it had disaster written all over it, lol.  Mix on medium for 2 minutes, fill liners and bake for 20 minutes. 


Final step.  The fudge frosting.  Combine all the ingredients and beat for 30 seconds on low and 1 minute on medium.  Let the frosting stand for 15-20 minutes to cool.  Sprinkle various items on top for decoration.


Taste test.  The cake is light and springy and the frosting.....well, what can I say.  The frosting is yummy.  And I'm getting better at using the decorating bags and tips.  My chocolate-loving friend stopped by to check them out.  She ate two.  She's a fan.

The clean-up.  I made 36 cupcakes with this recipe.  I gave half of them away and saved a few for the freezer.  Can you freeze cupcakes?  Guess I'll find out.  A little warning:   The frosting recipe makes enough to frost a small car so you may want to reduce the quantity if you make this.  I saved mine, now I just have to figure out what to do with it. 

On the next episode of Adventures In Baking .... we're back to a bread or muffin.  I see blueberries.

Till next time
-Teddra

No comments:

Post a Comment