Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lemon Cupcakes


Hi!  How's your week going so far?  Mine has been just peachy and I'm sure looking forward to the weekend.....although it's supposed to be HOT.  Middle of the summer hot.  Bring.  It.  On. 

In my blog search for recipes, I've found that food and/or dessert bloggers tend to be split into two camps:  Those that like fruit in their desserts and those that do not.  The 'do not's' are very adamant that unless it involves chocolate, fruit is on par with vegetables and vegetables do not belong in desserts.  I'm in the 'like' camp (and preferably without chocolate).  While my top fruit choices include pineapple and kiwi, hands down my favorite is the strawberry.  Today's little delight is brought to you by the recipe of Baked Perfection.  You can find the full cupcake and frosting recipe here.


The ingredients.  So many ingredients for such a little cupcake.  The recipe calls for 4 teaspoons of lemon zest and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice.  I wasn't sure how many lemons that would be so I bought four and some lemon juice in case it wasn't enough.  I thought the sour cream was a little weird but I'm just rollin' with it.


Let's get started.  Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla and mix well. 


Next step.  Add the flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.  You will have a very full bowl of batter.  Fill the muffin cups and bake.


Final step.  The frosting.  Strawberry Buttercream.  'Nuff said.  Just kidding!  Beat butter and vanilla until creamy.  Mix in strawberry jam and salt.  Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until combined.  Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.


Taste test.  I had a couple of taste-testers in the house for the weekend so I put them to work!  I didn't tell them the flavors before they took their first bite and wanted to see if they could identify the flavors by taste alone.  To my disappointment, they couldn't.  I had tasted the frosting before filling the piping bag and thought it was very good and not too sweet, but I hadn't tasted the cupcake.  I agree the cupcake could have used more lemon but the frosting was just right for my taste.  


The clean-up.  The recipe made 30 cupcakes.  The frosting recipe called for 6 cups powdered sugar, but I've learned from my few prior cupcakes that I don't use all of it and ends up wasted so I only (ha, only!) used 4 cups of powdered sugar.  I still had a little left over, but it didn't feel quite so wasteful.  I sent a container of cupcakes home with my weekend guests and took the remainder to work.  The guys at work are really liking my baking adventure!

On the next episode:  It's an oldie, but a goodie. 

See ya next time
-Teddra 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment