Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Strawberry Pretzel Squares


Hi and welcome to Adventures In Baking!  I'm continuing the Strawberry theme I started last week with a dessert that's perfect for summer.  I was blog surfing and found the recipe here at Cookies and Cups.  My mom has made this before and I really like the combination of sweet and salty so I thought I'd give it a try.  There isn't much baking involved, but I did use the oven to bake the pretzel crust and I used a hand mixer for the cream cheese and cool whip layer.  So by minimal standards, this counts as baking.  Plus, it's my blog and I really wanted to try it out! 


The ingredients.  Not much goes into it, but the combination of ingredients ensures something good comes out.  Oh, and one ingredient I forgot to photograph.  Water.  Hot and Cold.  For the jello. 


Let's get started.  Finely crush 2 cups of pretzels.  For this step, I relied on the superior crushing skillz I developed from crushing graham crackers for the S'mores cookies I made here.  Don't ya just love my tiny rolling pin?  That's a quart size zip lock bag I'm crushing so the pin's about 6 inches long (not including the handles).   Petite, haha.  Mix pretzel crumbs, sugar and butter.  Press into bottom of pan.  Bake.  Cool.  And catch up on a little cleaning while you wait.
PS.  I've learned my lesson on pan size: Recipe says 13x9 inch pan ..... I use a 13x9 inch pan.  No more overflow for me, Lol!


Next step.  Beat cream cheese, sugar and milk until blended.  Stir in Cool Whip.  Spread over crust.  Refrigerate.  And sort the laundry and get the first load going.   


And then.  Add boiling water to gelatin mix.  Stir in cold water.  Refrigerate.  And dust and vacuum the entire house.


Final step.  Stir berries into gelatin and spoon over cream cheese layer.  And.....you guessed it......Refrigerate.  One benefit of this recipe is that it takes so long due to refrigerating each layer, you'll have a clean house by the time it's ready to eat! 

Taste test.  Perfection.  Cool, sweet, salty, crunchy.  And no chocolate. I know, I know.  That's just blasphemous to all you chocolate lovers out there.  This is so good, I haven't shared a single bite with anyone else.  Hello, my name is Teddra and I'm a jello pretzel dessert hoarder.  Don't judge.  Make it for yourself and see what I'm talkin' bout. 

The clean up.  If you are a normal person, this dessert could probably be cut into a reasonable 18-21 pieces.  My pieces have been slightly larger.  Slightly, lol!  I've just been cutting as I go.  The real downside to making this dessert is the time between layers to chill in the fridge.  Definitely couldn't make this one on the fly. 
Well, that's it for today.  I deserve a treat after all this typing so I'm off to enjoy another piece of dessert!  I might just continue with the Strawberry theme next week......I have a couple recipes in mind. 

See ya back here soon
-Teddra 

No comments:

Post a Comment