Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Strawberry Almond Scones



Hello and happy Wednesday to you.  How's your week going so far?  I like these short weeks ..... before you know it, it's over!  I continued with the strawberry theme this week on Adventures In Baking with a scone recipe.  This is a different recipe than the one I used for the berry scones with lemon glaze I made here.  This recipe is from the Tasty Kitchen blog and the full recipe can be found here.


The ingredients.  Fresh strawberries plus strawberry preserves.


Let's get started.  Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut the butter into 1/4 inch squares and add it to the flour mixture.  Using your hands, break up the butter until the butter pieces are no bigger than small peas and the mixture is crumbly.


Next step.  Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the milk and heavy cream.  Using a spatula, fold the mixture until the liquid is full incorporated.  Add the fresh strawberries, sliced almonds, strawberry preserves and lemon juice. 


Final step.  Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface.  (Ick, it's sticky and squishy and goopy.)  Lightly coat all sides of the dough with flour.  With your hands, carefully press the dough into a 1/4 inch thickness.  Using a 2-inch rough biscuit cutter, cut rounds of dough and transfer them to a baking sheet.  I don't have a biscuit cutter but I do have a 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter so mine are a little bigger than intended. 

Taste test.  They're pretty.  They taste ..... like ...... nothing.  Dry, with no flavor.  Might as well be a foam pillow.  A tiny one.  And I tasted the strawberries before I cut them up.  They were nice and sweet.  The only thing that saved these babies is topping them with strawberry preserves.  Sigh.  I was so looking forward to these. 


The clean up.  I only made 6 scones because my cutter was almost twice the size of the cutter recommended in the instructions.  It was 5 too many.  P.S.-They weren't better the next day :- ( 

On the next episode of Adventures In Baking ..... We're going on the road again and I have a recipe for something a little different than what I've been doing.  It sounds delish so I hope it turns out well!  Check back here next Wednesday to find out!
Till then
-Teddra




No comments:

Post a Comment