Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cookie Dough Truffles


Hi and welcome to my next Adventure In Baking.  In honor of  Valentine's Day, I wanted to make something a little festive.  I found the recipe for the truffles at Baked Perfection.  The truffles were dipped in red and green melts for Christmas so I simply switched up the colors to pink and red.


The ingredients.   Most of the ingredients are just like your basic chocolate chip recipe.  The cinnamon surprised me.  And you use water instead of egg to bind it together.


Let's get started  Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon.  Easy enough.

Next step.  In a larger bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy  Slowly beat in flour mixture until smooth.  Umm.....smooth?  It's too dry to be smooth.  Oh, didn't see that part....Add water if mixture is too dry to form into balls.  I added a couple tablespoons of water.  Stir in chocolate chips.  **The recipe calls for miniature chips which makes sense as they're going to be rolled into little balls, but I didn't have any mini chips and instead had a ginormous bag of regular size chips. 

Final step.  Roll the mixture into quarter size balls and lay on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.  Freeze for 15-20 minutes until firm.  This might be a problem for people that actually keep food in their freezer.....I'm not one of those people so the cookie sheet fit fine and laid flat.  

Finishing touches.  Melt candy melts in microwave, dip cookie dough ball into coating and decorate.  I started with the pink coating.  I think it needed to melt a little more to get to a thinner consistency.  You can see in the above photo the red coating is a bit smoother.  **Need more practice with the decorating. 

Taste test.    Let me just start by saying that I've never understood the whole 'let's eat raw cookie dough' thing. Yes, I've been known to lick the extra off the beaters but making the batter - or even purchasing it at the store - with the sole intention of eating it raw does not appeal to me. So I was somewhat skeptical of this little candy.  Just so the taste test would be somewhat fair, I asked a friend to try them also.  This friend  would be perfectly happy if  raw cookie dough became it's own food group.  She dug right in.  I nibbled but couldn't break through the chocolate candy shell so I bit off a big ole chunk as well.   Two glasses of milk and one truffle later, my opinion is that one bite goes a long way.  Not terrible, but I have no desire to eat another one anytime soon.  My friend really liked them and gave them two thumbs up.  I got the impression she would have given it a higher score if only she had a couple more thumbs!  
The clean up.  The recipe said it makes 20 truffles.  I made 19 1/2!  The first 19 were similarly sized and I had a tiny bit left over so I made a little mini-truffle.  I could see making these for a holiday party. The only thing I'd change if I were to make them again would be to make them smaller.
The next episode of Adventures In Baking will be back later this week.  Since I didn't use the oven at all with the truffles, I felt a little guilty.  It was an adventure, but not a baking adventure.  I corrected that little over sight the next day.

Till next time
-Teddra


No comments:

Post a Comment