Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Snickerdoodle's

Hello and welcome.  This week's Adventure's In Baking treat focused on a cookie.  After last weeks chocolate overload, I was looking for something a little less sweet, but just as tasty.  What I found was this amazing, chewy, cinnamon-y goodness.  You can find the full recipe here

The ingredients.  The only thing I didn't have in my pantry was Cream of Tarter.  I have no idea what this does in a cookie recipe, but apparently it's an essential ingredient in Snickerdoodles and they don't turn out right without it.  Since I'm not prepared to test that theory, I bought the cream of tarter.  **Side note....why's it called cream of tarter when it's a powder?  What's a tarter and why would I want to cream it?  Hmmmm? 
Let's get started.  Sift the flour, baking soda and cream of tarter and set aside.  Yes, that's me leveling the flour with a knife.  So professional!  LOL!  In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar.  Add eggs, milk and vanilla and mix well.  Stir in the dry ingredients.  If the dough is any indication, these are gonna be good.
Next step.  Form dough into 1 inch balls, place on cookie sheet and flatten.  **I used a silicon spatula to flatten the cookies and it worked really well - no stick.

Final step.  Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top before baking.  Bake 8-10 minutes.

Taste test.  Ummkndd......just......ummmmndeed.......a.......snarfffff....sec......Sorry bout that, it's difficult to write and type and stuff cookies in my mouth at the same time!  This is the cookie I've been waiting for.  Delish!  Slightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  I think I've got a handle on this cookie thing.....everything else, not so much.
 
The Clean-up.  I decided to make a few larger 'bakery' size cookies to see how they hold up.  I added just a couple more minutes to the baking time and they turned out just as nice as the smaller cookies.  The recipe yielded 30 small and 15 large cookies. 

And then.  Not to mess with perfection, but the recipe also included instructions for a Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream to make Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies.  Goodness.  If I was making these for a party I would definitely use the buttercream.   Gives it a little pizazz.

On the next episode of Adventure's In Baking.....a pie/cake/cupcake.  Since I've already gone the cupcake route, I'm thinking pie.....but we'll see. 

Till next time
-Teddra


No comments:

Post a Comment