Friday, July 6, 2012

The Best of the Cakes

Hi and welcome back to the review round-up of  Adventures In Baking.  This episode takes a look back at the Cakes and Cupcakes I've made during the first half of the year.  I attempted 7 cake/cupcake recipes since January 1.  It was a tough choice for Top 2 Favorites but it came down to the Hummingbird Cake I made in April and the Lemon Cupcakes I made for Mother's day. You can read all about them here and here.



The Hummingbird Cake might look like a great big donut, but it's light and moist and has just the right amount of frosting.  And the frosting on the Lemon Cupcakes.....that would be strawberry frosting. Lemon and Strawberry, nice and refreshing.

The next two favorites are the Apple Crumb cake I made in February that you can read about here and the Chocolate Cupcakes I made in March.  You can find that adventure here.




The crumb topping on the Apple Crumb Cake is perfection and as for the Chocolate Cupcakes, well, who doesn't need a chocolate fix every now and again! 

And then we have a final dessert to round out the top 5 which is the Firecracker Cake I made last weekend as a salute to the 4th of July.  You can find out how to make this cake for yourself by going here. 


This cake has personality!

There are two additional cake/cupcakes that didn't make the top 5.  The first is the Pink Velvet Cupcakes I made in January.  I mixed up the whipped cream and buttermilk in the recipe so the cupcakes were very dense.  At least I think that's why each one weighed about 5 pounds!  They weren't exactly bad, but I hope they can be better. 

The second dessert that didn't make the cut is the Whoopie Pies with Raspberry Filling I made in June.  I'm not even sure they qualify as a cake.  They're kind of a cake/cookie/pie hybrid.  I didn't find a single redeeming quality about the pies.  My taste testers really liked them though so it must be a personal preference kind of thing.  Plus they were super messy.  Not my kinda thing.

Well, that's it for the Cake/Cupcake 6 month review.  Next stop is the Breads. 

See ya next time
-Teddra

No comments:

Post a Comment